Friday, December 09, 2005

I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord- Part 3

Then, on Sunday Evening, we went to Heritage Baptist Church in Owensboro, KY. This is a great group of solid biblical Christians! I already knew one of their elders, Sam Waldron. He has written some wonderful books, and I have spoken with him at Southern Seminary. I got to meet the other pastors, as well as many of the other members there.

We partook of the Lord's Supper together, and I really liked how they did it. After singing some hymns, reading some Scripture, and the "fencing of the table," we all went down to a room where there were tables with white linens. All of us who partook sat around the tables while those who did not sat on chairs against the walls. Then, after a breif sermon (my pastor preached on Matthew 26:26-29), we partook and afterwards there was time for people to share a passage of Scripture or to tell how the Lord had answered prayer or provided some way. It was wonderful! Full of Gospel truth for both believer and non-believer alike.

One of the main points of the message preached was that the Lord's Supper is a meal that helps us to persevere and give us assurance. It is Christ who bids us to eat, drink, and remember His death until He comes again. And it reminds us that each believer at the table is there because Christ has had mercy on us. Christ has called each of us individually, and He has paid for every sin of those who believe. This was driven even further home to me because of listening to a conversation between one of my elders and a new believer (several weeks!) on our way down to Heritage. They were talking about John 6:37-44 and how Christ will lose none of those the Father has given Him. I've read that passage many times, but it seemed exceedingly precious to me as I thought about how God will bring all His chosen children through the trials and failures of life. What a mighty God we serve! Predestined-called-justified-glorified, can it get any better than that? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home